On behalf of our long-term client SAI Global, Verisio’s Christopher Riley spoke at the Sedex Conference on Thursday 6th April sharing his insights and providing recommendations on the topic ‘The Modern Slavery Act – Is your due diligence robust enough?’ Based on a government guidance document and feed-back from discussions with the Modern Slavery Act Task Force, the following should be part of any company’s statement.
- The organisation’s structure, its business and its supply chains.
- Its policies in relation to slavery and human trafficking.
- Its due diligence processes in relation to slavery and human trafficking in its business and supply chains.
- The parts of its business and supply chains where there is a risk of slavery and human trafficking taking place, and the steps it has taken to assess and manage that risk, which might include actual site visits.
- Its effectiveness in ensuring that slavery and human trafficking is not taking place in its business or supply chains, measured against such performance indicators as it considers appropriate.
- The training and awareness-building regarding slavery and human trafficking provided to its staff.